8 August 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover the topics like Karunanidhi death, part-time Director on RBI Board and Delhi High Court decriminalised begging among others.
1. M Karunanidhi, DMK chief and former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister, passed away on August 7, 2018. He served how many terms as Tamil Nadu’s Chief Minister?
2. Who was appointed as the part-time Director on RBI Board by the Central Government recently?
a) P Chidambaram
b) Swaminathan Gurumurthy
c) Rakesh Mohan
d) Deepak Singhal
3. The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India integrated its mobile apps namely DND 2.0 and MyCall with which platform?
a) BHIM App
4. Which high court recently decriminalised begging in the state?
a) Mumbai High Court
b) Madras High Court
c) Uttarakhand High Court
d) Delhi High Court
5. Saudi Arabia recently announced to cut its diplomatic and trade ties with which country?
6. Which state observed the ‘Festival of Democracy’ recently?
c) Andhra Pradesh
7. Who has been appointed as the acting Chief Justice of Delhi High Court?
a) Shripathi Ravindra Bhat
b) Vijaya Kamlesh Tahilramani
c) Ramesh Ranganathan
d) R. Subhash Reddy
8. Which nation held a coordination meet with India on August 8 to discuss border security?
9. Which state government has announced a special assistance of Rs 500 crores for the OBC community?
c) Madhya Pradesh
10. Which country’s minister has announced that a games period will be made compulsory in all schools starting from 2019?
11. According to a new study, which planet is heading towards an irreversible "hothouse" state?
12. Which state’s government has decided to appoint interns named as ‘Lok Kalyan Mitra’ in every block of the state for publicity of government’s welfare schemes?
c) Uttar Pradesh
1. (a) 5
DMK patriarch Muthuvel Karunanidhi, the former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, passed away on August 7, 2018 after battling a brief illness at the Kauvery hospital in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. He was 94. Karunanidhi served as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for five separate terms during the 1969–2011 period.
2. (b) Swaminathan Gurumurthy
The Central Government on August 7, 2018 appointed journalist Swaminathan Gurumurthy and Sahakar Bharathi patron Satish Kashinath Marathe as part-time non-official Directors on the Central Board of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) following the approval from the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet.
3. (c) UMANG
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) on August 7, 2018 integrated the TRAI Mobile Apps namely DND 2.0 and MyCall with UMANG Platform. From now onwards, the DND 2.0 and MyCall mobile apps will also be available on Umang Platform.
4. (d) Delhi High Court
The Delhi High Court on August 8, 2018 decriminalised begging in the national capital, saying provisions penalising the act were unconstitutional and deserved to be struck down.
5. (a) Canada
Saudi Arabia announced to end its all new trade and investment ties with Canada over its interference in its internal affairs. The Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Ministry expelled the Canadian ambassador and recalled its own envoy in Canada.
6. (b) Kerala
Indian President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the ‘Festival of Democracy’ in Thiruvananthapuram on August 6, 2018 to mark the conclusion of the diamond jubilee celebrations of the Kerala legislative assembly.
7. (a) Shripathi Ravindra Bhat
Justice Shripathi Ravindra Bhat was on August 7, 2018 appointed as the acting chief justice of the Delhi High Court. His appointment comes after acting chief justice of the Delhi High Court Geeta Mittal was elevated as the chief justice of the Jammu and Kashmir High Court.
8. (b) Nepal
The third India-Nepal coordination meet was held on August 8, 2018 to discuss border security. Issues related to security along the border and sharing of information on criminals were discussed during the meet.
9. (d) Maharashtra
The Maharashtra government has announced a special assistance of Rs 500 crore for OBC community to develop employment opportunities for the youth. Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said his government remains committed to retaining OBC quotas in jobs and rejected reports that Maratha community may be included in the OBC category for reservation purpose.
10. (a) India
Union Sports Minister, Rajyavardhan Rathore has announced that a games period will be made mandatory in all schools in India from 2019 onwards. Along with this, the Ministry of Education will ensure a 50 per cent reduction in the syllabus.
11. (d) Earth
A new study has warned that Earth is at the risk of entering an irreversible 'hothouse' condition - where the global temperatures will rise by four to five degrees and sea levels may surge by up to 60 metres higher than today - even if targets under the Paris climate deal are met.
12. (c) Uttar Pradesh
The Uttar Pradesh government will appoint interns in every block of the state for publicity of the welfare schemes of government. These interns named as LOK KALYAN MITRA will also provide feedback regarding implementation of the welfare schemes. The decision was taken at the state cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on August 7.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week