9 August 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as new Rajya Sabha deputy Chairman, Quit India Movement and UNESCO’s WNBR list among others.
1. Who has been elected as the new deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha?
a) BK Hari Prasad
b) Harivansh Narayan Singh
c) Ravi Shankar Prasad
d) Harshvardhan Singh
2. Which Indian biosphere reserve has become the 11th one to be added to UNESCO’s WNBR list?
b) Great Rann of Kutch
d) Seshachalam Hills
3. Union Minister Suresh Prabhu recently launched which mobile app that provides wide range of information of international trade?
c) DND 2.0
d) Niryat Mitra
4. When is the International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples observed across the world?
a) August 9
b) August 8
c) August 7
d) August 6
5. The Supreme Court recently approved the draft Constitution of the BCCI after modifying few recommendations of which committee?
a) Mukul Mudgal Committee
b) R.M. Lodha Committee
c) Bimal Jalan Committee
d) Sushil Modi Committee
6. Which of the following games recently announced to have a facial recognition system that uses artificial intelligence?
a) Tokyo Olympics
b) Cricket World Cup
d) Commonwealth Games
7. Which institution has urged all citizens not to use national flag made up of plastic?
a) Supreme Court
b) Union Government
d) Prime Minister
8. Who was appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director of Escorts Group?
a) Rajan Kapoor
b) Prashant Verma
c) Nikhil Nanda
d) Sushil Modi
9. August 9, 2018 was observed as the 76th anniversary of which Indian freedom movement?
a) Quit India movement
b) Dandi March
c) Non Violence Movement
d) Civil Disobedience Movement
10. The Indian Railways announced how many exam special trains?
11. Astronomers belonging to which nation have discovered a lithium-rich giant star, which is even bigger than the sun?
b) South Korea
12. Which state has launched its own new app-based taxi service?
c) Tamil Nadu
Answers with Explanation
1. (b) Harivansh Narayan Singh
JDU’s Harivansh Narayan Singh was elected as the new deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha on August 9, 2018. The NDA candidate was pitted against BK Hari Prasad, the joint candidate of the Congress-led Opposition in the vote. Singh won the vote with 125 votes in favour and 105 against.
2. (c) Khangchendzonga
India’s Khangchendzonga Biosphere Reserve, one of the highest ecosystems in the world, has been added to UNESCO's list of World Network of Biosphere Reserve (WNBR). The reserve will be India's 11th internationally designated WNBR.
3. (d) Niryat Mitra
Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Suresh Prabhu on August 8, 2018 launched the ‘Niryat Mitra’ mobile App in New Delhi. The app has been developed by the Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO), the largest exporters’ organisation of the country
4. (a) August 9
The International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples was observed across the world on August 9, 2018 with an aim to strengthen international cooperation for solving problems faced by indigenous peoples in areas such as human rights, the environment, education, health and social development.
5. (b) R.M. Lodha Committee
The Supreme Court modified its earlier order on the 'One State, One Vote' policy for the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) members. The ‘One State, One Vote' policy was recommended by the R.M. Lodha Committee.
6. (a) Tokyo Olympics
A facial recognition system using artificial intelligence will be used at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games. The Tokyo Olympics will be the first games to have this kind of security system using facial recognition technology.
7. (b) Union Government
Ahead of Independence Day, the government has urged all citizens not to use national flags made of plastic. The States were told to ensure strict compliance of the provisions contained in the ‘Flag Code of India, 2002’ and ‘The Prevention of Insults to National Honour Act, 1971.
8. (c) Nikhil Nanda
Farm and construction equipment maker Escorts appointed Nikhil Nanda as the chairman and managing director (MD) of the company. The company’s board unanimously appointed Nikhil as the chairman and MD to succeed his late father Rajan Nanda.
9. (a) Quit India movement
The 76th anniversary of Quit India movement was observed across India on August 8, 2018. On this day in 1942, father of the nation Mahatma Gandhi gave the famous clarion call of ‘Do or Die’ to all Indians to drive the British away from the country.
10. (a) 11
A day after Indian Railways announced nine exam special trains to clear the extra rush on the eve of the first phase of the railways' computer-based exam for loco pilots and technicians, the railways said that two more trains would run between Bihar's Muzaffarpur city and Secunderabad in Telangana. With the current announcement, the total number of trains announced for RRB exam 2018 went up to 11.
11. (c) China
Chinese astronomers have discovered the most lithium-rich giant star ever known, which could shed new light on the evolution of the universe. With 3,000 times more lithium than a normal star, it was found at a distance of 4,500 light years from Earth. The star has a mass almost 1.5 times our sun.
12. (d) Goa
Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar and Tourism Minister Manohar Ajgaonkar on August 7, 2018 flagged off the Goa Tourism Development Corporation's app-based taxi service in Panaji. The app-based taxi service, called ‘GoaMiles’, would ensure that commuters are not cheated and at the same time would increase the earnings of taxi drivers by ‘two to three’ times.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week