The Union Cabinet on 20 July 2016 gave its approval for establishment of new All India Institutes of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) at Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh.
The institute will be established under the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY).
Key highlights of the project
• The cost of the project for establishment of the new AIIMS in Gorakhpur will be 1011 crore rupees.
• The cost estimate does not include recurring costs (wages, salaries and operation, maintenance and expenses).
• The recurring expenditure will be met by the respective new AIIMS from their annual budgets through Grant-in-Aid to them from Plan Budget Head of PMSSY of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
• The institution will have a hospital with capacity of 750 beds, which will include Emergency/Trauma Beds, AYUSH Beds, Private Beds and ICU Speciality and Super Speciality beds.
• There will also be an Administration Block, AYUSH Block, Auditorium, Night Shelter, Hostels and residential facilities.
• The establishment of new AIIMS will provide super specialty health care to the population.
• It will also create a large pool of doctors and other health workers in this region that can be available for primary and secondary level institutions/facilities being created under National Health Mission (NHM).
• This institute will also conduct research on prevalent regional diseases and other health issues and provide for better control and cure of such diseases.
• The setting up of AIIMS under PMSSY targets correcting the regional imbalances in availability of affordable/reliable tertiary level healthcare in the country in general.
• Under this scheme, AIIMS have been established in Bhubaneshwar, Bhopal, Raipur, Jodhpur, Rishikesh and Patna.
• Work of AIIMS at Rae Bareli is in progress.
• In addition, three AIIMS in Nagpur (Maharashtra), Kalyani (West) and Mangalagiri in Guntur (Andhra Pradesh) have been sanctioned in 2015.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 20 July 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.