Union Government flagged off Science Express Climate Action Special train
The train is a unique collaborative initiative of Department of Science & Technology and Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change (MoEFCC), and Ministry of Railway.
The Union Government on 15 October 2015 flagged off the Science Express Climate Action Special (SECAS) from Safderjung Railway Station in New Delhi.
The train is a unique collaborative initiative of Department of Science & Technology, Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change (MoEFCC), and Ministry of Railway.
Highlights of SECAS
• The initiative seeks to sensitise the citizens on how Climate Change can be combated through mitigation and adaptation.
• It will also put forth India’s action and the role of civil society in combating Climate Change.
• As per the plan, the train will travel across the country for about 7 months. It will halt at around 64 stations in 20 states and will cover about 18000 kilometres.
• 40 educators have also been deployed to inform around 60 lakh people about climate change issues and how it can be tackled at individual level.
Each coach of the train is covered by a specific theme:
• Coach 1: Understanding Climate Change
• Coach 2: Impact of Climate Change
• Coaches 3 and 4: Adaptation
• Coaches 5 and 6: Mitigation
• Coach 7: International Negotiations on Climate Change
• Coach 8: Handprint
• Coaches 9 and 10: Exhibition put up by the Department of Biotechnology (DBT)
• Coach 11: Exhibition put up by the National Innovation Foundation (NIF)
• Coach 12: A Kids Zone
• Coach 13: The Joy of Science (JOS) Hands-on Lab
About Science Express
Science Express is an unprecedented mobile science exhibition mounted on a 16-coach AC train. Indian Railway has custom-built the train for Department of Science & Technology (DST).
DST launched the Science Express in October 2007. Since then, it has travelled about 122000 kilometres across the country in seven phases of 6-7 months duration each.
From 2007 to 2011, the train was running as Science Express displaying the world of micro and macro cosmos, spreading the awareness about strengths of science in meeting global challenges, including latest discoveries and innovations in the field of modern science.
In the year 2012, Science Express was redesigned on the theme Biodiversity and since then it has been running as Science Express Biodiversity Special (SEBS).
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App