Union Minister for Human Resource Development Smriti Zubin Irani on 29 September 2015 launched the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) document for educational institutions along with its web portal.
The portal and the framework will enable parents, students, teachers, educational institutions and other stakeholders to rank institutions on the basis of a set of objective parameters and a transparent process.
The Framework will be effective from April 2016.
Highlights of National Institutional Ranking Framework
• The NIRF follows an Indian approach which considers India-centric parameters like diversity and inclusiveness apart from excellence in teaching learning and research.
• It will facilitate a level playing field in ranking for institutions which have been working in languages other than English and excelled relatively in the recent past.
• The framework is designed such that institutions belonging to different sectoral fields such as Engineering, Management etc. will be compared separately in their own respective peer groups.
• The institutions will be ranked on five parameters, viz., (1) teaching learning and resources; (2) research, consulting and collaborative performance; (3) graduation outcomes; (4) outreach and inclusivity and (5) perception.
• The methodology of ranking is open to all Indian institutions that wish to be part of the system, but is not mandatory; it is also aimed at empowering the institutions to compete for international ranking systems like QS and Times.
Developed by a team of experts in education and heads of institutions, the portal and the framework is presently available for engineering and management institutions.
The framework for engineering and management institutes will be extended to other disciplines like architecture, pharmacy and humanities and for universities as well.
Methodologies, parameters and process for ranking universities along with architecture and planning institutions under the NIRF would be made available online within November 2015.
The framework was drafted by a core committee that included National Board of Accreditation Chairman Surendra Prasad, IIT-Kharagpur director P.P. Chakraborty, IIT-Madras Director Bhaskar Ramamurthi, besides the Higher Education Secretary and HRD Ministry officials.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 29 September 2015
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.