Registrar General & Census Commissioner of India on 31 July 2015 released the Census 2011 data on Highest Education Level Attained.
The data relates to population of 7 years and above by age and sex for total, Scheduled Castes (SCs) and Scheduled Tribes (STs) up to district levels.
- Primary occupies the top position in terms of percentage share to total literates in 2011 for both total and SCs. The respective shares are 24.1percent for total and 27.7 percent for SCs.
- The percentage share of literates at the higher educational levels, i.e. Middle, Higher Secondary and above have gone up at national level for total, SCs and STs during census 2011 as compared to census 2001.
- In case of Matric/Secondary, there is negligible decline for total while for SCs & STs, there is improvement.
- The percentage share of Graduate and above population of 15 years and above has shown improvement from 5.7 percent to 8.2 percent for total, 2.2 percent to 4.1 percent for SCs and 1.5 percent to 2.6 percent for STs during 2001-11.
- The percentage share of Graduate degree other than technical degree to total Graduate and above has declined by 7.2 percent for total, 7.7 percent for SCs and 7.5 percent for STs during the decade 2001-2011.
- The share of Post Graduate Degree other than technical degree has shown improvement of 2.9 percent for total, 2.4 percent for SCs and 2.4 percent for STs during 2001-11.
- Technical Degrees or diplomas equal to degree or post graduate degree has shown improvement of 4.4 percent for total, 5.3 percent for SCs and 5.1 percent for STs during 2001-11.
The improvements at higher educational levels along with decline in percentage share at below-Primary and Primary level are indication of educational advancement in the country during the decade 2001-11.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App