Union Ministry of Road Transport & Highways on 16 September 2014 decided to roll out Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) programme in the country under the brand name FASTag.
ETC is a programme of electronically making the payment on highway tolls without stopping the vehicle at the toll plazas.
Characteristic features of the FASTag programme
• The vehicles will be provided a unique number of the RFID Tag that should be affixed on the wind shield of the vehicle.
• The RFID Tag on windshield will be read by the readers fitted in the dedicated ETC lanes of plazas, which will deduct an appropriate amount depending upon the class of vehicle from the account of the user.
• The complete process of payment will be automated.
• The dedicated ETC lanes will have colour coding for distinct identity recognized as FASTag lanes.
• The RFID based FASTag will be provided by ICICI Bank and Axis Bank. They will provide Central Clearing house (CHH) services through their franchises or agents and at point of sales near the toll plazas.
• Road users can enroll and get FASTag affixed on their vehicles at designated toll plaza locations or Point of Sale (POS) stations of Axis bank and ICICI bank.
Similar highway tag brands are available in developed countries with different names like Eazee Pass, SunPass in the US, e-Passin Australia, Salik in Dubai and others.
Where: across India
When: 16 September 2014
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.