Vani Jairam, the versatile playback singer in the South Indian film industry, was presented with the Ghantasala national award on 23 April 2017 at a function held in Andhra Pradesh. The award is instituted by the Ghantasala National Art Academy in Andhra Pradesh.
The 71-year-old singer received the award from A. Ramalingeswara Rao, a High court judge in Andhra Pradesh and R Ananda Bhaskar, Rajya Sabha member from the congress party.
Speaking on the honour, the singer stated that she valued the award the most, as it was instituted in the memory of the legendary singer Ghantasala Venkateswara Rao who ruled the Telugu film music industry for over three decades.
The singer also fondly recalled her memory of Ghatasalagaru when he had readily obliged to sing on her request during their first meeting at the All India Radio station.
She then along with the Ghantasala National Art Academy Chairman T.Vijaykanth and others paid floral tributes to the portrait of Ghantasala. She also entertained the audience by singing few select songs including the one from Telugu film ‘Sankarabharanam’ that that won her the National Film Award in Telugu in 1980.
About Vani Jairam
• She is fondly called as Meera of modern India.
• She started her singing career in 1971 and has completed over four decades in the industry.
• She has done playback singing for over 1000 movies and recorded over 10000 songs.
• In addition, she has recorded over thousands of devotional songs and private albums and also participated in numerous solo concerts in India as well as abroad.
• Besides Hindi and Telugu, she has sung in several other Indian languages including Tamil, Malayalam, Marathi, Odia, Kannada, Gujarati and Bengali.
• She has won the National Film award for Best Female Playback singer thrice and has also received several state government awards from states such as Odisha, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat and Andhra Pradesh.
• She was honoured with the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement award in 2012.
• She will be receiving the North American Film Award for Best Singer for Malayalam film ‘Pookkal Panineer’ in July 2017 at an event in New York City.
President Ram Nath Kovind confers Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar 2019
Vice President presents Chhatra Vishwakarma, Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana awards
Bharat Ratna CNR Rao chosen for first Sheikh Saud International Prize for Materials
Gandhi Peace Prize announced for years 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018