World leaders launched Mission Innovation for accelerating clean energy revolution
The mission was launched by 20 participating countries, including India, at the United Nations Climate Change Conference 2015 (COP21) in Paris-Le Bourget, France.
World leaders on 30 November 2015 launched Mission Innovation for accelerating clean energy revolution across the world. The mission was launched by 20 participating countries, including India, at the United Nations Climate Change Conference 2015 (COP21) in Paris-Le Bourget, France.
As part of this initiative, the participating countries double their clean energy research and development funding by 2020.
And, it was launched alongside Bill Gates led Breakthrough Energy Coalition that aims at reducing demand for fossil fuels.
Key features of Mission Innovation
• It aims to reinvigorate and accelerate global clean energy innovation with the objective to make clean energy widely affordable.
• It will augment the efforts to provide affordable and reliable energy for everyone and to promote economic growth.
• Modus Operandi: Working with existing international institutions, participating countries will cooperate and collaborate to help governments, private investors and technology innovators.
• The collaboration will cover areas such as- sharing of data, technology expertise and analysis in order to promote commercialization and dissemination of clean energy technologies.
• It was launched as a long term global response to tackle the problem of climate change.
• Participating countries are: Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Denmark, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Norway, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Sweden, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom and the USA.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App