5 December: World Soil Day
The World Soil Day (WSD) 2016 was observed on 5 December 2016 at the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) headquarters in Rome. The theme for the day is “Soils and pulses, a symbiosis for life.”
The theme for the 2016 WSD focuses on the positive contributions of pulses to soil properties, such as fixing the atmosphere nitrogen and improving its biodiversity, fertility and structure.
The observance of World Soil Day aims at connecting people with soils and raising awareness on their critical importance in lives of human beings.
On the other hand, 2016 was declared the International Year of Pulses (IYP).
About International Year of Pulses
• The year 2016 was declared as the International Year of Pulses by the 68th UN General Assembly.
• It aims to heighten public awareness of the nutritional benefits of pulses as part of sustainable food production aimed towards food security and nutrition.
The key objectives of the IYP 2016 are:
• To raise understanding about the important role of pulses in sustainable food production and healthy diets and their role in food security and nutrition.
• To promote the value and utilization of pulses throughout the food system, their benefits for soil fertility and climate change and for combating malnutrition.
• To encourage connections throughout the food chain to further global production of pulses, foster enhanced research, better utilize crop rotations and address the challenges in the trade of pulses.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.