Many of us acquired the talent in the field of sports and made a mark in State Level/National Level sports events. In order to promote this enthusiasm among players and for sports, Indian Government has implemented sports quotas in education and government jobs.
Most of the government institutions, including Indian Railways, Indian Army, Police, Government Banks/Universities, PSUs recruit meritorious sports players time to time. These departments of Government of India are always looking forward to encourage the players. This would, in return, provides the job security to players and intensifies their desire to achieve glory through sports for the country.
Government of India appoints meritorious sportspersons, who represents the National and International events in South Asia Federation Games, Asian Games, Federation Cup, World Cup ,District, State, Olympics and Commonwealth Games, USIC Championship and several other sports activities, to any post in Group ‘C’ or erstwhile Group ‘D’ through Direct Recruitment.
List of sports which qualify for appointment of meritorious sportspersons:
There are about 43 sports for which the jobs are offered on the basis of merit to sports players in following areas -
- Athletics (including Track and Field events)
- Billiards and Snooker
- Equestrian Sports
- Gymnastics (including Body Building)
- Kayaking and Canoeing
- Rifle Shooting
- Roller Skating
- Soft Ball
- Table Tennis
Eligibility Criteria for Sports Quota Jobs:
The minimum eligibility criteria for the recruitment through sports quota is 10th and Intermediate. All the departments have different selection criteria for sports quota jobs, which is compulsory for the players to meet them. Apart from this, there is also a provision for different merit criteria according to the different grade pay for the job in the sports quota. Appointments under these orders can be made of sportspersons considered meritorious with reference to the following criteria:
- Candidate who has represented a State or the country in the National or International competition
- Candidate who has represented their University in the Inter-University Tournaments conducted by the Inter-University Sports Boards
- Candidate who has represented the State School Teams in the National Sports/games for schools conducted by the All India School Games Federation
- Sportsman who has been awarded National Awards in Physical Efficiency under the National Physical Efficiency Drive
For grade pay 2,400/2,800 -
Candidates should possess Bachelor's degree in any stream from any a University recognised by the Government of India and should have represented the country in Olympics/represented the country in World Cup/or achieved at least third place in the Commonwealth Games/Asian games/World championship.
For grade pay 1,900/2,000 -
The candidate must be 10+2 passed and should have Represented the Country in any of the Category-B Championships/events and should have achieved minimum 3rd Position in any of the Category-C Championships /events/ 3rd Position in Senior/Youth/Junior National Championships/National Games organized under aegis of Indian Olympic Association/All India Inter University Championship organized under the aegis of Association of Indian Universities or 1st Position in Federation Cup Championships (Senior Category).
For pay grade 1800-
Represented the Country in any of the Category-C Championships/events Or scored 3rd Position in Federation Cup Championships (Senior Category) OR Represented a State or equivalent Unit, except in Marathon and Cross Country, in Senior/Youth/Junior National Championships OR At least 3rd Position in Senior State Championships for all Units and Districts of the State
Selection Procedure for Sports Quota Jobs:
The candidates are selected on the basis of Written Test/Sports Trial/Medical Test followed by Interview
Order of Preference for the Recruitment of Sports Person:
- First preference is given to those sports persons who have represented the country in an International Competition with the clearance of the Department of Youth Affairs and Sports
- Next preference is be given to those who have represented a State/U.T. in the Senior or Junior level national Championships organized by the National Sports Federations recognized by Department of Youth Affairs & Sports or National Games organized by Indian Olympics Association and have won medals or positions upto 3rd place.
- Then to the one have represented a University in an Inter-University competition conducted by Association of Indian Universities/Inter University Sports Board and got the 3rd place in finals.
- Afterwards, to the those candidates who have participated in State Schools in the National sports/games for Schools conducted by the All-India School Games Federation and have won medals or positions upto 3rd place.
- Next preference is be given to those, who have been awarded National Award in physical efficiency under National Physical Efficiency Drive OR represented in State/Union Territory/University/State Schools Teams
Recruitment Notification for Sports Quota Jobs:
The application for the recruitment of sportspersons is invited through advertisement in the employment newspaper or through circular on the official website. The application received by the appointing authority or a higher authority from a sportsman taken into consideration by the Ministries/Department or the Head of the Department for the further recruitment process.