MBA in Hospitality Management: Career & Prospects
A graduate is required to make a choice according to his/her preference and MBA in Hospitality Management is one of the best courses that can be taken up by a student, particularly if he/she enjoys being among people.
Athithi Devo Bhavha (अतिथिदेवो भव: Guest is God) is a Sanskrit verse which stands true for the Indian Hospitality Industry. MBA in Hospitality Management would provide you a golden opportunity to associate yourself with one of the most flamboyant yet humble industries of India. The hospitality extended by the Indian culture to the global travellers has earned appreciation and recognition.
In this regard, the hospitality industry is categorized as a service-oriented industry. Moreover, Indian Hospitality industry is one of the fastest growing industries contributing significantly to the country’s gross domestic product (GDP), and foreign exchange earnings (FEE).
What is MBA in Hospitality Management?
Hospitality Management is an umbrella term which covers a wide spectrum of services under it. In Indian hospitality industry the major that can be identified are event planning, theme parks, transportation, cruise line, hotels, Gaming, Airlines Industry, and many more fields.
Sub-sets of Hospitality Industry are depicted as under:
Source: CBSE, Class XII NCERT
Considering the heterogeneous nature of these diverse sub-sets, the hospitality industry has been characterized to have following features in its account:
- Seasonal Industry: The Indian hotel industry witnesses high demand during October to April and low demand during monsoon months. Usually the December and March quarter is most lucrative one as it generates highest revenue for India’s hoteliers.
- Labour Intensive Industry: As it is a service oriented industry, hence, the quality of manpower defines the success of this industry to a big extent. The hospitality industry is manpower-intensive industry and provides employment to skilled, semi-skilled, and unskilled labor directly or indirectly. According to the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC), India’s total contribution of Travel & Tourism to employment was approximately 37.6 million jobs in 2011 (7.5% of total employment). By 2021, Travel & Tourism is forecasted to generate 47.4 million jobs (8.1% of total employment).
- Fragmented Industry: Hospitality Industry is highly fragmented with a huge number of small and unorganized players. Almost 70% of the total industry’s turnover comes from the unorganized sector, while the balance comes from the organized sector.
Why MBA in Hospitality Management?
A candidate searching for some unique and niche specialization should opt for MBA in hospitality management because of numerous reasons:
- Hospitality industry is one of the fast-growing industries;
- Rising disposable income of the population is a good news;
- Image of the international tourism sector is enhancing in the globe;
- People are spending more time in leisure activities;
- An upsurge in the technological developments is an added boon to push this sector to greater heights
- The Indian government is also extending complete support to the industry in order to increase their earning
- Introduction of friendly legislation would also open gates for heightened business activity
- A liberal policy framework would support the hospitality industry further
- The support infrastructure and open-sky policies has also allows the foreign airlines to operate in India
All these factors are an indication of plethora of job opportunities which lingers near you and awaits a deserving professional to grab them.
Eligibility for pursuing career in Hospitality Management
Any interested candidate holding a successful graduation degree is eligible to pursue a master’s degree in hospitality management specialization. Further, the students will have to clear an entrance exam such as MAT/CAT/XAT or ATMA to get admission into this course. Generally, the duration of this course is 2 years.
Personal Skill Requirement
If you wish to develop your career in hospitality management, introspect on these key personality traits before taking any decision. These traits would help you understand whether you are a perfect fit for pursuing this forte or not:
- Do you feel committed towards the tasks entrusted to you?
- Do you possess excellent communication skills?
- Are you enthusiastic about the ever-changing requirements of the work?
- In order to provide superior customer service, do you possess interpersonal skills?
- Are you organized in managing work and handing multiple tasks?
- Do you have a problem solving blend of mind?
- Are you a team player?
- Do you possess critical thinking skills to manage unforeseen situations?
- Do you possess a fascination towards using innovative technology?
Scope of MBA in Hospitality Management
MBA in Hospitality Management is one course specialization which will acquaint you with the proficiency to showcase you mental prowess in diverse fields. You would be able to venture into several fields as the course would not restrict your capacity to perform in defined areas. The career in hospitality management ranges from being an entrepreneur and starting your own company or consultancy to work on managerial posts, as chef or in housekeeping. Given below is the list of various industries and sectors where you can get employed to seek distinguished career prospects. Some of the industries are:
- Airlines industry
- Cruise ships
- Travel and tourism industry
- Entertainment industry
- Event management companies
- Catering services
- Hotels, casinos, and resorts
- Fast food chains
- Golf course management sector
- Retail sector
- Universities and colleges as a lecturer/professor of hospitality management courses
MBA in Hospitality Management Syllabus
Hospitality Management is an interesting specialization which would introduce you to several engaging concepts. These subjects would provide you a bird’s eye view or in other words a snapshot of the happenings in this industry.
The case studies will familiarize you with intriguing facts that would be instrumental in your job. The industry speakers will engage you in thought-provoking exercise and would cultivate managerial perspective in you to manage the practical situations. In this program, generally seminars and workshops are conducted to enlighten the students with the industry practices and norms.
Some subjects that you will get to study in this specialization are:
- Human Resource Management
- Accounting & Finance for Managers
- Research Methodology
- Productions & Operations Mgmt.
- Legal Aspects of Business
- Business Communication
- Customer Relationship Management
- Facility Planning, Design & Management
- Front Office & Accommodation Management
- Hospitality Brand Management
- Hotel Sales
- Facility Planning, Design & Management
- Tourism Destination Management
- Conference & Event Management
Career Options after MBA in Hospitality Management
There are always some challenges of any industry that you choose to associate with. The concern whether a position suits to you or not is entirely dependent on your own character and personal interest.
This interactive course would provide you attractive opportunities to join eminent organizations at dignified positions. The position and job profile that you will be offered would entirely depend on the experience and skills set you possess.
Pay Packages Offered after MBA in Hospitality Management
Salary is no bar for a talented individual. If you work with commitment and dedication, salary would never restrict your growth. MBA in Hospitality Management would provide exemplary opportunities to prove your mettle and earn a rewarding career.
Salary as per experience
Top Colleges for pursing MBA in Hospitality Management
- Amity School of Hospitality (Noida/NCR)
- International Institute of Business Management (IIBM) (New Delhi)
- Nalanda School of Management College (Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh)
- Lovely Professional University (Phagwara, Punjab)
- Veer Narmath South Gujarat University (Surat, Gujarat)
- Gem B School (Mysore, Pondicherry, Thrissur, Chitradurga and Srinagar (J & K)
- Institute for International Management & Technology (Gurgaon, Haryana)
- Bangalore Management Academy (BMA) (Marathahalli, Karnataka)
- IAM – Institute of Hotel Management (Kolkata/ Goa/ Guwahati)
- Dr.YSR. National Institute of Tourism and Hospitality Mangement (Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh)
Top Recruiters for Hospitality Management Course
- Indian Hotels Company Limited
- ITC Welcome Group
- The Leela
- Inter Continental
- Sheraton Corporation
- The EIH Limited (The Oberoi Group)
- India Tourism Development Corporation (ITDC) / The Ashok Group
- The Hotel Corporation of India (HCI)