Carnatic singer Thodur Madabusi Krishna and Bezwada Wilson, campaigner for eradication of manual scavenging, on 31 August 2016 received the prestigious Ramon Magsaysay Award 2016.
They were among six persons who received the award. Four others who received the award are: Conchita Carpio-Morales of the Philippines, Dompet Dhuafa of Indonesia, Japan Overseas Cooperation Volunteers and Vientiane Rescue of Laos.
About Bezwada Wilson
• Wilson, the national convenor of the Safai Karmachari Andolan (SKA), got the award for asserting the inalienable right to a life of human dignity.
• He has been leading a grassroot movement to eradicate the degrading servitude of manual scavenging in India, reclaiming for the Dalits the human dignity that is their natural birthright.
• He has spent 32 years on his crusade, leading not only with a sense of moral outrage but also with remarkable skills in mass organising, and working within India’s complex legal system.
About Thodur Madabusi Krishna
• Krishna won the award under the Emergent Leadership category for bringing social inclusiveness in culture. He is a Carnatic music vocalist.
• His forceful commitment as artist in breaking barriers of caste and class to unleash what music has to offer not just for some but for all led to his selection for the award.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App