Bibhu Prasad Kanungo appointed as Deputy Governor of RBI
In March 2016, Kanungo was appointed as Executive Director of RBI.
Odisha's Bibhu Prasad Kanungo was on 14 March 2017 appointed as Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) with effect from April 2017.
His appointment was approved by the Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) for a period of three years. He will succeed R Gandhi.
Kanungo is the second person from Odisha to be appointed as Deputy Governor of RBI after Harun Rashid Khan whose term ended in July 2016.
About Bibhu Prasad Kanungo
• In March 2016, Kanungo was appointed as Executive Director of RBI.
• He was in charge of Foreign Exchange Department before taking over as Executive Director of RBI.
• Earlier, he had served as RBI’s Regional Director in Jaipur and Kolkata.
• He also served as the Banking Intermediary for Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh.
• He began his banking career in 1979 by joining Oriental Bank of Commerce as a Probationary Officer and later in 1980, he joined RBI as an Officer.
• Kanungo is Certified Associate of Indian Institute of Bankers and also holds a degree in Law (LLB) from Utkal University.
• He hails from Kendrapara district of Odisha.