The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) on 28 December 2016 approved Road Connectivity Project for Left Wing Extremism (LWE) Affected Areas, a Centrally Sponsored Scheme aimed at improving the rural road connectivity in the worst LWE affected districts.
This project will be implemented as a vertical under Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY).
Highlights of the Project
• The construction or upgradation of 5411.81 km road and 126 bridges will be taken up at an estimated cost of Rs 11724.53 crore.
• The fund sharing pattern of LWE road project will be same as that of PMGSY that is in the ratio of 60:40 between the Union Government and State Government.
• However, the fund sharing will be in the ratio of 90:10 for eight North Eastern and three Himalayan States (Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh & Uttarakhand).
• Union Ministry of Finance will allocate Rs 7034.72 crore to Ministry of Rural Development for this project during the period of implementation from 2016-17 to 2019-20.
• It will provide connectivity with necessary cross-drainage structures in 44 worst affected LWE districts and adjoining districts.
• It will be implemented in LWE States including the 35 worst affected LWE districts which account for 90 percent of total LWE violence in the country.
• The roads taken up under the scheme will include Other District Roads (ODRs), Village Roads (VRs) and upgradation of the existing Major District Roads (MDRs).
• The roads will be operable throughout the year irrespective of all weather conditions.
• Union Ministry of Rural Development will be the sponsoring Ministry as well as the implementing Ministry of this project.
• The likely duration of implementation of the project is four years from 2016-17 to 2019-20.
About Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY)
This scheme was launched on 25 December 2000 with the objective to provide all-weather road connectivity to all eligible unconnected habitations in rural areas of the country.
It envisaged to connect all eligible unconnected habitations in Special Category States namely Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim, Tripura, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir and Uttarakhand, Tribal areas, the Desert Areas, Tribal and Backward Districts.
What: Approved by CCEA
When: 28 December 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.