Cisco on 24 January 2017 announced its intent to buy AppDynamics. Both the companies are based in San Francisco, the USA.
As per the announcement, Cisco will acquire AppDynamics for approximately USD 3.7 billion in cash and assumed equity awards.
About the Cisco-AppDynamics deal
• With the acquisition, AppDynamics's cloud application and business monitoring platform will enable the Cisco to improve application and business performance.
• Cisco will be able to re-define its relationships with customers through new software tools.
• Together AppDynamics and Cisco will provide customers with intelligent and actionable insights.
• The combination will also help the customers to make speedy business decisions and improve business performance.
• Even after the acquisition, AppDynamics will continue to be led by CEO David Wadhwani. AppDynamics will continue as a new software business unit in Cisco's Internet of Things (IoT) and Applications business.
• Subject to customary closing conditions, the acquisition is expected to close in Cisco's third quarter of fiscal year 2017.
• Cisco is a multinational technology conglomerate. It is considered as one the largest networking companies in the world.
• It was founded by Leonard Bosack and Sandy Lerner, two Stanford University computer scientists, in December 1984.
• Cisco develops, manufactures and sells networking hardware, telecommunications equipment and other high-technology services and products.
• Over the years, the Cisco has acquired numerous companies such as OpenDNS, WebEx, and Jasper.
• These acquisitions helped Cisco to specialize in specific fields such as Internet of Things (IoT), domain security and energy management.
• Cisco commenced India operations in 1995. The Cisco Global Development Center is in Bangalore and is the largest outside the USA.
• The development centre houses Cisco's Research and Development (R&D), IT, services and customer support teams and develops disruptive business models for Cisco to create new go-to-market channels, markets, processes and technologies for emerging markets.
• The Advanced Global Briefing Center located here showcases Cisco's latest technology solutions and proof-of-concepts.
• It is an application performance management (APM) and IT Operations Analytics (ITOA) company.
• The AppDynamics focuses on managing the performance and availability of applications across cloud computing environments as well as inside the data center.
• The company was founded by India-born Jyoti Bansal in 2008.
• Bansal is a former lead software architect at Wily Technologies, a provider of application performance management technology.
• In 2016, AppDynamics figured at the 9th position on the Forbes Cloud 100 list.
Who: Cisco Systems
When: 24 January 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.