Current Affairs in Short: 20 December 2018
Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Shipping and Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation Nitin Gadkari inaugurated projects worth Rs 9533 crore at separate events in Roing and Ziro in Arunachal Pradesh.
Harsh Vardhan Shringla appointed as Indian ambassador to United States
• India appointed Harsh Vardhan Shringla as the next Ambassador of India to the United States on December 20, 2018.
• Harsh Vardhan Shringla, a 1984-batch Indian Foreign Service diplomat, will succeed Navtej Sarna.
• At present, Shringla is serving as Indian High Commissioner to Bangladesh.
• Senior diplomat Riva Ganguly Das was appointed as new High Commissioner to Bangladesh.
Nitin Gadkari inaugurates projects worth Rs 9533 Crore in Arunachal Pradesh
• Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Shipping and Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation Nitin Gadkari inaugurated projects worth Rs 9533 crore at separate events in Roing and Ziro in Arunachal Pradesh.
• The infrastructure projects will transform the picture of states in the North Eastern region of the country by way of development, job creation, tourism and employment for the youth.
• In Roing, Gadkari inaugurated bridges across Dibang and Lohit River System, including approach road between Chowkham-Digaru. The total length of this project is 30.95 km and cost Rs 1508.30 Crore.
• The Minister also inaugurated the recently two-laned, 25.14 km Mahadevpur to Buri Dihing section of NH-52 B, constructed at a cost of Rs 136.60 Crore and 22.23 km Bordumsa- Namchik section of NH-52 B constructed at a cost of Rs 189.91 Crore.
Pranab Kumar Das appointed as Chairman of CBIC
• Pranab Kumar Das was appointed as the Chairman of CBIC with effect from January 2019.
• He will succeed Chairman S Ramesh, who retires on December 31, 2018.
• The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) is the apex indirect tax policy-making body under the Finance Ministry.
• The CBIC is headed by the Chairman and consists of six members.
India’s largest cancer institute ‘National Cancer Institute’ launched
• India’s largest cancer hospital, National Cancer Institute (NCI) began the trial run of its Outpatient Department on December 18, 2018.
• Located in Jhajjar District, NCI is a project under AIIMS, Delhi.
• It will be headed by Dr. GK Rath who is also the chief of Institute Rotary Cancer Hospital at AIIMS.
• It will be the nodal institution for all cancer related activities in India.
Commemorative Postage Stamp on Rajkumar Shukla released
• The Department of Posts recently released the commemorative Postage Stamp on Rajkumar Shukla, who was associated with Champaran Satyagraha of 1917.
• Rajkumar Shukla made a seminal contribution in drawing the attention of Mahatma Gandhi to the plight of peasants suffering under an oppressive system established by European indigo planters in Champaran (Bihar).
• This struggle was a turning point in India's fight for independence.
• With this stamp, the Department has released 43 issues in the current calendar year.
NFAI and FTII sign MoU for transfer of land for construction of film storage facility
• National Film Archive of India (NFAI) and Film & Television Institute of India (FTII) signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for transfer of three acres of land for the construction of storage facility for films and film material.
• The land belonging to FTII at their Kothrud campus in Pune will be transferred to NFAI for this purpose.
• For decades now, NFAI has been doing remarkable national service by conserving India’s cinematic legacy.
• NFAI intends to utilize the best expertise while constructing the new storage facility.