Delhi government scrapped management, other quotas in private schools

Jan 7, 2016 08:16 IST

Delhi Government on 6 January 2016 scrapped the management quota and all other quotas, in private schools for nursery admissions. There will be only 25 percent reservation for economically weaker sections and the rest 75 percent will be made available to the general public.

The government also scrapped 62 arbitrary and discriminatory criteria listed by the schools on their websites for admissions.


The decision was taken at a Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal. As per the state government, certain criteria put out by the schools were a violation of Article 14 of the Constitution relating to equality before law.

Private schools in Delhi have quotas for management, siblings, alumni and many others, which is arbitrary.

The decision came in the midst of the admission process for nursery classes in over 2500 private schools in the capital.

Comment
Definitely the move will help parents in getting their wards in schools with an ease, but at the same time the decision of the government leaves a question. The question is that is the government has any authority to issue such directions to private schools which had been granted autonomy by the Delhi High Court in 2014.

Earlier, the lieutenant governor did the same thing and the court had then mentioned that the government cannot intervene in the autonomy of schools.

Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1  Current Affairs App

Is this article important for exams ? Yes4 People Agreed

DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.

Latest Videos

Register to get FREE updates

    All Fields Mandatory
  • (Ex:9123456789)
  • Please Select Your Interest
  • Please specify

  • ajax-loader
  • A verifcation code has been sent to
    your mobile number

    Please enter the verification code below

This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK