An Egyptian constitutional panel on 1 December 2013 approved a new draft constitution for Egypt Government.
50-member constitution-drafting panel headed by Amre Moussa approved draft-constitution, which contains 247 Articles. According to the country’s officials, the referendum on the draft constitution is to be held in January 2014.
Key provision in the new draft Constitution
• President to only serve two four-year terms.
• Candidates must be at least 40 years old.
• President appoints prime minister.
• President can dismiss the government with the approval of the majority of parliament.
• It gives more power to military, including an article that allows trial of civilians in martial courts.
• Military budget to be discussed by a national defence council.
• The defense minister must be appointed in agreement with the military.
• Islamic law, or sharia, the main source of legislation.
• Political parties may not be formed on the basis of religion.
Freedom and rights
• Political parties cannot be formed on the basis of gender, race, sect or geography.
• Parties must not have military or paramilitary components.
• Citizens have the right to organise public meetings and demonstrations and all forms of peaceful protests.
If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group
When: 1 December 2013