Former Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer and Member of Parliament (MP) Syed Shahabuddin passed away on 4 March 2017 following a prolonged illness at a hospital in Delhi NCR. He was 82.
Syed was well known for his concern in the Shah Bano Case and antagonism to the Demolition of Babri Masjid.
About Syed Shahabuddin
• Shahabuddin was the former President of All India Muslim Majlis Mushawarat, an umbrella organization of Indian Muslim outfits.
• Born in Ranchi, Jharkhand, Shahabuddin began working as a diplomat for the Indian Foreign Services.
• He later became a politician and served three terms from 1979-1996 as a Member of Parliament of India.
• He edited and published a monthly journal Muslim India, a journal of research and documentation that no research scholar working on Indian Muslims can afford to ignore. It was launched in the year 1983.
• It was him who in the 1980s assembled Muslim MPs from all the parties and met the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi to highlight the problems being faced by Muslims in India.
• He was also very eloquent on Babri Masjid issue. He created awareness about the issue among the public.