Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on 17 January 2015 adopted Pachim Bekeli Gaon Panchyat under Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojna (SAGY). Pachim Bekeli Gaon Panchyat is located in Kamrup district of Assam.
Manmohan Singh represents Assam in the Rajya Sabha.
Almost 125 MPs have adopted a village under SAGY since the announcement of the Yojana by PM Narendra Modi on 15 August 2014. Some of the MPs and the villages adopted by them are:
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi: Jayapur village in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
• Hema Malini: Raval village, Uttar Pradesh
• Sachin Tendulkar: Puttamraju Kandrika village, Andhra Pradesh
• Kaushalendra Kumar: Nanand village in Nalanda, Bihar
• Narendra Sawaikar: Cola village, Andhra Pradesh
• Avinash Rai Khanna: Adamwal village in Hoshiarpur, Punjab
• Rajendra Agrawal: Bhagwanpur Chatawan village in Rajpura, Punjab
Union Minister Sushma Swaraj, MP Sharad Pawar of the Nationalist Congress Party, AK Antony of the Indian National Congress, JD-U’s Sharad Yadav are among others who have each chosen a village to adopt in their respective constituencies.
Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 15 August 2014 announced Sansad Asarsh Gram Yojana. It aims to cover 2500 villages by 2019. Under the project, each Member of Parliament (MP) will take up the responsibility of providing infrastructure and developing three villages by 2019.
The objective of the project is to create a holistic development of all adopted villages by the MPs in all aspects —human, personal, social, economic and environmental development, including provision of basic amenities, services, security and good governance.