BJP Lok Sabha member Ganesh Singh on 22 July 2016 was appointed the new Chairperson of the Joint Committee of Parliament examining the Land Acquisition Bill.
Singh replaced S S Ahluwalia, who became Minister of the State for Parliamentary Affairs in reshuffle of the council of ministers on 5 July 2016.
After the appointment, Singh will have to move a resolution in the Lok Sabha seeking the seventh extension of the term of the panel.
Who is Ganesh Singh?
• Ganesh Singh is a member of the 16th Lok Sabha of India.
• He is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) political party.
• He represents the Satna constituency of Madhya Pradesh.
About The Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement (Second Amendment) Bill, 2015
• The Bill amends the principal Act passed in 2013.
• The Bill enables the government to exempt five categories of projects from the requirements of: (i) social impact assessment, (ii) restrictions on acquisition of multi-cropped land, and (iii) consent for private projects and public private partnerships (PPPs) projects.
• The five categories of projects are defence, rural infrastructure, affordable housing, industrial corridors, and infrastructure.
• The Act deemed the head of a government department guilty for an offence by the department. The Bill removes this, and adds the requirement of prior sanction to prosecute a government employee.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Ganesh Singh
When: 22 July 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.