Gopal Baglay, a senior diplomat was appointed as the new spokesperson of the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on 27 February 2017. He will be succeeding Vikas Swarup, who was appointed as India’s new High Commissioner to Canada.
Commenting on his appointment Baglay stated that he was delighted to take over his new role and hoped to have full support and cooperation in continuing the high traditions set by his predecessors.
Aside from holding the position of the spokesperson of MEA, Baglay would also be serving as the Joint Secretary of External publicity.
About Gopal Baglay
• He joined the Indian Foreign Service in 1992.
• He has previously held several key positions including that of Director, Joint Secretary, Director PAI and Indian Deputy High Commissioner to Pakistan.
• He served as the Deputy High Commissioner to Islamabad from 2011 to 2014.
• He also served as the Joint Secretary (states) from October 2014 to December 2015 and was given the responsibility of creating a separate department in the ministry to facilitate international outreach of the Indian states.
• Since 2015, he was handling the sensitive division of Pakistan-Afghanistan-Iran in the MEA. The division will now be led by Deepak Mittal.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.