Gujarat CM Laid the Foundation Stone of the Statute of Unity
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on 31 October 2013 laid the foundation stone of the Statute of Unity-a 182-metre tall statue.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on 31 October 2013 laid the foundation stone of the Statute of Unity-a 182-metre tall statue (World’s largest statue) of iron man Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel on his 138th birth anniversary at Sardar Sarovar Dam site in Bharuch district in Gujarat.
The Statue of Unity will be double of the height of the Statue of Liberty (93 metres) in the USA.
About Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
• Vallabhbhai Patel was born on 31 October 1875 in Nadiad, a small village in Gujarat.
• Sardar Vallabhai Patel was an Indian freedom fighter and one of the great social leaders of India.
• He is one of the leaders of the Indian National Congress and one of the founding fathers of the Republic of India.
• After India's independence, he became the first Home Minister and Deputy Prime Minister of India.
• He was the man behind the consolidation of 565 semi-autonomous princely states to form a united India.