The husband-wife duo of Claude and Norma Alvares on 18 December 2015 were honoured with the 2015 Lifetime Service Award by Sanctuary Asia magazine.
On the other hand, Ashok Kumar, one of the pioneers of the fightback against wildlife crimes in India and chairman emeritus of the Wildlife Trust of India, was named the Sanctuary Legend. It is a new category in the list of Sanctuary Wildlife Awards for 2015.
The Wildlife Service Awards went to five personalities:
• Varad Giri, a scientist with the National Centre for Biological Sciences in Bengaluru for his contribution to understand and classify little known species, including discovering new species of snakes, geckos, frogs and cecilians.
• Nandini Velho, organiser of the first Arunachal Pradesh Bird Festival.
• Param Jit Singh, a trained geologist and forest officer from Uttarakhand.
• Yash Veer Bhatnagar, director of the Snow Leopard Trust's India Programme. He also conducted one of the first long-term studies on the Asiatic Ibexm and organised a path-breaking scientific exploration of Ladakh.
• The Gir Lion Protection Team.
About Claude and Norma Alvares
• Claude and Norma Alvares are Indian social worker, environmental activist, lawyer and founding members of Goa Foundation, an environmental action group.
• Under the aegis of Goa Foundation, Norma initiated a public interest litigation in 1987, to save the sand dunes of Goa, the first ever PIL filed in the state.
• She is the president of People for Animals, an animal support group, and is the founder of Other India Book Store and Other India Press, environmental initiatives.
• In 2002, she was honoured by the Government of India with Padma Shri.
• Claude is a member of the Goa Coastal Zone Management Authority of the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF).
• He is also a member of the Supreme Court Monitoring Committee (SCMC) on Hazardous Wastes constituted by the Supreme Court of India.
About Sanctuary Asia
• Sanctuary Asia is India's first and one of its leading environmental news magazines.
• The publication is a privately owned, self-supporting venture and does not accept any donations.
• It was founded in 1981 by Bittu Sahgal, at the behest of legendary conservationist Fateh Singh Rathore.
• It is also directly involved with environmental activism, often running media campaigns for specific conservation causes.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 18 December 2015