India through the Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology signed a Cooperation Agreement to acquire the status of the Associate Member State European Molecular Biology Organisation (EMBO).
The agreement will strengthen scientific interaction and collaborative research between India and Europe in this field.
After the signing of an agreement with Singapore by Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC) in July 2015, India became second such country outside the European region.
The official kick-off launch ceremony of the agreement was held on 4 February 2016 in New Delhi.
Key highlights of the agreement
• Researchers working in India are now eligible to participate in all EMBO programmes and activities.
• Indian scientists can apply to EMBO’s programmes, such as long-term fellowships for postdoctoral researchers, short-term fellowships, courses and workshops, as well as the EMBO Young Investigator Programme.
• At the same time, Europe will benefit from networking with the top-level scientists in India’s research community.
• The European Molecular Biology Organization is a professional organization of life scientists in Europe.
• Its goal is to promote research in life science and enable international exchange between scientists.
• It organizes courses, workshops and conferences, publishes four scientific journals and supports individual scientists and projects.
• The organization was founded in 1964.
• The current EMBO Director is Maria Leptin.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Where: New Delhi
What: Signed by India