Indian Foreign service officer appointed as new Consul General of Dubai
Indian Foreign Service officer, Vipul was appointed as the new Indian Consul-general in Dubai. He confirmed the news by tweeting on his twitter profile.
An Indian Foreign Service Officer, Vipul took charge as the new Indian Consul-General in Dubai on 3 April 2017.
Vipul, confirming the same through a tweet on his social media account stated that he looked forward to contribute to India-UAE relations as well as work for the welfare of the Indian community living there.
He will be succeeding Anurag Bhushan, who returned to India after completion of his successful stint of three years. Bhushan is a 1995 batch Indian Foreign Service officer, who took charge as the Indian Consul-General in Dubai in 2013. He is expected to take up a new assignment at the Foreign Service Ministry headquarters in New Delhi.
• He is an Indian Foreign Service officer from 1998 batch.
• He is known only by his first name.
• Prior to joining the Indian Consulate in Dubai, he was working as the Joint Secretary in the office of External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.
• He has previously also been a part of Indian diplomatic missions to Sri Lanka and Egypt.
• He has a good command over the Arabic language.
• With his appointment, two Indian diplomatic missions in the UAE including the embassy in Abu Dhabi and consulate in Dubai will be headed by new faces.
• Earlier in December 2016, Navdeep Singh Suri had taken charge as the Indian ambassador to the UAE, succeeding T P Seetharam who retired in August 2016.
Dubai is rated as the commercial capital and tourism centre of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The Indian population in the Arab nation is estimated to be around 2.6 million, making it one of the country’s largest migrant populations.
Economically and Culturally, India and UAE share a strong bond. Strategically, UAE is a very important country for India in the gulf region.