Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on 15 March 2017 presented the State annual budget for the period between April 2017 and March 2018.
The overall size of the budget was pegged at Rs 1,78,385 crore. Compared to the budget 2016-17, which is estimated at Rs 1,57,222 crore, it is higher than Rs 20,000 crore.
Highlights of Karnataka Budget 2017-18
• The Gross State Domestic Product (GSDP) in the year 2016-17 grew at the rate of 6.9 percent as against the rate of 7.3 percent during 2015-16.
• Krishi Bhagya scheme will be extended to costal and malnad areas (excluding command areas) covering all the taluks in the year 2017-18. For this purpose, a grant of Rs 600 crore will be provided.
• For the year 2017-18, an amount of Rs 845 crore has been provided for the Karnataka Raitha Suraksha Pradhana Manthri Fasal Bima Yojana to make the State drought-proof.
• In order to emphasize the judicious and efficient use of water, drip and sprinkler irrigation units will be distributed at 90 per cent subsidy for up to 2 hectares.
• It is proposed to start Cashew Development Board for developing 10,000 hectares of good quality of cashew orchards over next 5 years.
• During 2017-18, Rs 6,000 crore will be spent on various irrigation projects across the State.
• It is proposed to develop ‘Salumarada Thimmakka Vruksha Udyanavana’ in every assembly constituency.
• In respect of teachers, need based restructured medium to long term training of 50 thousand teachers and lecturers will be taken up for specific core subjects and languages including English.
• For improving school management and sector governance, the use of technology initiated under “Shikshana Kirana” will be strengthened including biometric attendance of teachers.
• It is proposed to pay honorarium of Rs 1,000 to ASHA workers in addition to the existing payment of incentive to reduce the rate of infant and maternal mortality.
• A new Karnataka Institute of Endocrinology will be established in Indiranagar, Bengaluru, using own resources, at an estimated cost of Rs 35 crore.