The third Ladakh Marathon was organised by Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council (LAHDC) on 14 September 2014 at Leh in Jammu and Kashmir. Around 3000 people from across the world participated in the Marathon.
The Ladakh Marathon was organised with an aim to foster National Spirit and encourage Sports in Ladakh. The event had four categories namely
• The Khardung La Challenge Ultra Marathon of 72 Kilometer
• The Full Marathon of 42 Kilometer
• The Half Marathon of 21 Kilometer
• The 7 Kilometer-run in which maximum school children participated
The Ladakh Marathon is the World’s Highest and Toughest Marathon that is held at an altitude of 3534 meter (11562 feet). Towards smooth conduct of the Marathon, the organisers were provided full administrative support of the Indian Army. Apart from this, a team of Army Ladakh Scouts also participated in the Marathon.
Results of Army Ladakh Scouts who participated in the Marathon
• Khardung La Challenge Ultra Marathon of 72 Kilometer - Rifleman Shabbir Hussain, Rifleman Rigzin Nurboo and Rifleman Tsering Gyatso stood first, second and third in the respectively
• Full Marathon of 42 Kilometer - Recruit Shokat Ali and Recruit Fayaz Ali secured first and third positions respectively
About Ladakh Marathon
The Ladakh Marathon is organised during the Ladakh Festival, which is a weeklong celebration of sport, culture and tradition in the Buddhist high mountain desert region that was a central stop on the historic Silk Route between Central Asia and India. The marathon was started in 2012. The inaugural marathon saw 1500 participants and the 2nd edition saw 2200 participants with runners from 12 different countries besides India.
The first eco-friendly green marathon took place in 2012; two years after the devastating flash floods tore through the region, leaving a trail of death and destruction. The marathon was a way to say that Ladakh is back and running.
Who: 3rd Ladakh Marathon
Where: at Leh in Jammu and Kashmir
When: on 14 September 2014
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.