The Minister for MSME K H Muniyappa constituted a District Level Advisory Committee on the recent initiatives for enhancing the effectiveness of implementation of Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP).
The conference was held at New Delhi on 4 September 2013 and it explained about the measures taken by the Ministry for improved implementation of its flagship scheme are expected to fight economic slowdown by faster creation of enterprises and jobs in the micro sector.
The Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) on 30 August 2013 constituted an Advisory Committee for each district of India for monitoring the progress of Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP) with active involvement of Members of Parliament from the district.
Highlights of the District Level Advisory Committee
• It was highlighted that the Ministry of MSME has approved constitution of a District Level Advisory Committee comprising around 30 members which would provide overall guidance and suggestions for the implementation of the programme.
• The District Level Advisory Committee would liaise and coordinate with KVIC, State Government and other agencies including Banks for effective mobilization of young entrepreneurs under PMEGP.
• District Level Advisory Committee’s role would be to make sure that the scheme is implemented in accordance with its guidelines.
Constitution of the District Level Advisory Committee
• This Committee would be chaired by the Member of Parliament (Lok Sabha) elected from the District having the largest part of the district under his/ her Parliamentary constituency.
• The other members would include Members of State Legislative Assembly and Legislative Council, Chairperson of Zilla Panchayat, representatives of SC/ST, OBC, minority and women and one professional from social work/ social science, representatives of bank and financial institutions.
• District Magistrate/ Collector will be its member-convener.
• The committee will meet quarterly.
• KVIC which is the nodal agency for the scheme at the national level will take the necessary action.
About Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP)
Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP) is the major credit linked subsidy programme. The Union Government of India released 5251.51 crore Rupees under the scheme since 2008-09.