NITI Aayog and ABB India signed a Statement of Intent (SoI) on May 23, 2018 to support the Indian government realise its vision of ‘Make in India’ through advanced manufacturing technologies that incorporate the latest developments in robotics and artificial intelligence.
The agreement was signed by Anna Roy, Adviser (Industry), NITI Aayog and Sanjeev Sharma, MD, ABB India in the presence of NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant and ABB CEO Dr. Ulrich Spiesshofer.
Through the agreement, NITI Aayog will work with ABB across various sectors of the economy such as power and water utilities, food and heavy industry, transport including rail and metro and infrastructure to suggest solutions for digitalisation, incorporating the Internet of Things (IoT) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) technologies. The initiative also covers the fast-growing segment of electric mobility.
• Jointly, NITI Aayog and ABB will work with government ministries, seek feedback for areas critical to them and discuss solutions using industrial automation and digitalisation technologies.
• NITI Aayog will facilitate the participation of policymakers and government functionaries in workshops and training programs organised by ABB India.
• The training programs are expected to feature subject matter experts and will aim to sensitise policymakers and officials about relevant AI capabilities and explore ways they can be used for revolutionising manufacturing productivity.
• The collaboration will include a cross-sectoral understanding of digitalisation at ABB’s world-class centers.
• The first workshop under this collaboration would be organised for senior government officials in June, 2018 at ABB Ability Innovation Centre in Bengaluru.
• The senior officials will be chosen from central, state governments and autonomous bodies.
• Given the importance of the food processing sector, the workshop will focus on digital and automation technologies in the sector.
• Similar workshops will be organised in the future for other sectors as well including power, urban development and transport.
Through the agreement, NITI Aayog and all its stakeholders will get exposure to the hands-on experience of ABB Ability, the company’s comprehensive digital portfolio of solutions that deliver value of industrial digitalization to utilities, industries and transportation and infrastructure.
Based on the interactions with ABB India, NITI Aayog will also make recommendations to government ministries for guidelines and policies regarding development and adoption of AI technology in sectors such as power & water utilities, manufacturing, e-mobility and infrastructure, with industrial automation and digitalisation as the backbone.
Further, NITI Aayog in collaboration with ABB will come out with a report on policy recommendations based on the feedback received in the workshops by December 2018.
The collaboration will play a significant role in driving progress of key sectors in India. It is expected to lead to actionable insights and focused plans that will help India become a centre for advanced manufacturing.
• The ABB is a pioneering technology leader in electrification products, robotics and motion, industrial automation and power grids, serving customers in utilities, industry and transport and infrastructure globally.
• The company operates in more than 100 countries with about 135,000 employees.
• ABB India, the ABB Group company was incorporated in India in 1949.
• The company is a leader in power automation technologies. The technologies enable industrial customers to improve their performance along with lower environmental impact.
• Currently, the company employs over 10,000 people across more than 40 locations in Bangladesh, India and Sri Lanka.
• It further has 12 manufacturing sites on the subcontinent and one of its seven corporate research centers around the world is based in India.
What: Sign Statement of Intent