NMCG, NYKS signed MoU for involvement of youth in restoring the health of Ganga river
The MoU aims to involve youth in creating awareness and outreaching public by carrying out afforestation drive for medicinal plants species, promoting sanitation and construction of toilets.
The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) and Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS) on 8 June 2015 signed a 5-year Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to establish a long-term partnership for the involvement of youth in the abatement of pollution and conservation of the river Ganga.
The MoU aims to involve youth in creating awareness and outreaching public by carrying out afforestation drive for medicinal plants species, promoting sanitation and construction of toilets and educating people for tackling throwing of wastes into the river.
With the help of strong network of youths of NYKS, National Mission for Clean Ganga seeks to implement activities at local level that will encourage public participation and additionally, assist in restoring the health of Ganga river.
The MoU also aims to promote Bio Agriculture and clean village under Clean Ganga Mission. Under the MoU, the youth will plant different kinds of saplings of medicinal plants, trees and fodder crops from Gangotri up till Ganga Sagar.
About National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG)
• NMCG is an autonomous society under Union Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation that works for the implementation of the projects under National Ganga River Basin Authority (NGRBA).
• NMCG is the planning financing, monitoring and coordinating body at the Centre and being supported by suitable State level Programme management groups (SPMGs).
• NMCG is empowered to take all necessary actions that may be necessary or incidental for the achievement of the objectives.
About Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS)
• Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS) is an autonomous organization under Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, formed to oversee working of the Nehru Yuva Kendras that provide rural youth avenues to take part in the process of nation building.
• NYKS channelizes the power of youth who are in the age group of 13-35 years on the principles of voluntarism, self-help and community participation.
• The core strength of NYKS is a network of 2.95 Lakh village level Youth Clubs across India with an enrolment of about 8.35 million volunteers in the age group of 13-35 years.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App