Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 25 June 2016 launched several projects for 20 Smart Cities in Pune under the Smart City Mission.
The Projects were launched exactly a year after Union Government launched the flagship Smart City Mission in June 2015 by releasing the Mission Guidelines.
Highlights of the Projects
• Projects were launched in 20 cities selected in the first batch of mission through a city challenge competition.
• Pune stood second in the selected cities.
• Projects launched in Pune include slum rehabilitation, street and pedestrian walkway, modern buses with alternative fuels, traffic demand modelling project and city common mobility card.
• Ahmedabad has launched sewage treatment plant, housing project, smart learning in municipal schools.
• Bhubaneswar, which topped the list in the city challenge, has launched a railway multi-modal hub, traffic signalisation project and urban knowledge centre.
• In New Delhi Municipal Council, a mini-sewerage treatment plants, 444 smart class rooms, WiFi, smart LED streetlights, city surveillance, command and control centre were launched.
• The 20 selected cities would be linked through video conferencing.
• PM Modi also inaugurated the Make Your City SMART contest aimed at continuing citizen participation in the planning. Suggestions and designs suggested by the citizens will be incorporated by respective smart cities.
• A Smart Net Portal was also inaugurated to enable the cities under different urban missions to share ideas and source solutions for various issues during the implementation of various missions.
• The Smart Cities mission, a project of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, was launched in June 2015 with the government releasing the guidelines and mission statement for the 100 Smart Cities project.
• The mission was allotted a budget of 48000 crore rupees for five years.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 25 June 2016