Renowned economist, agriculturist, prolific journalist and stalwart farmer leader Sharad Joshi passed away on 12 December 2015 in Pune. He was 80.
Joshi is survived by his daughters Shreya Sahane and Gauri Joshi.
Who is Sharad Joshi?
• Born on 3 September 1935 in Satara, Sharad Joshi obtained his formal education in Mumbai after which he worked in the Savitribai Phule Pune University as a lecturer in economics.
• He subsequently joined the Indian Postal Services.
• Later, he moved to Berne, Switerzland, to work with Chief Informatics Service International Bureau, a United Nations organisation.
• After 10 years, he left the job and returned to India to work on agrarian issues and formed the Shetkari Sanghatana in Maharashtra in the late 1970s.
• He led number of mass agitations on agricultural issues in India.
• He was also the Founder Leader of Kisan Coordination Committee (KCC) composed of sister organisations from 14 states.
• He was also a founder of the largest organisation of rural women, Shetkari Mahila Aghadi (SMA), known for its work for women's property rights.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 12 December 2015