RUSA: Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan
Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) was in news on 14 March 2016. It came in news after the information on the same was provided in the Lok Sabha by the Union Human Resource Development Minister, Smriti Zubin Irani
It was launched in 2013 with an aim to provide strategic funding to eligible state higher educational institutions.
It is implemented and monitored through an institutional structure comprising of the National Mission Authority, Project Approval Board and the National Project Directorate at the centre and the State Higher Education Council and State Project Directorate at the state level.
Salient Features of the RUSA are
• To improve the overall quality of state institutions by ensuring conformity to prescribed norms and standards and adopt accreditation as a mandatory quality assurance framework.
• To usher transformative reforms in the state higher education system by creating a facilitating institutional structure for planning and monitoring at the state level, promoting autonomy in State Universities and improving governance in institutions.
• To ensure reforms in the affiliation, academic and examination systems.
• To ensure adequate availability of quality faculty in all higher educational institutions and ensure capacity building at all levels of employment.
• To create an enabling atmosphere in the higher educational institutions to devote themselves to research and innovations.
• To expand the institutional base by creating additional capacity in existing institutions and establishing new institutions, in order to achieve enrolment targets.
• To correct regional imbalances in access to higher education by setting up institutions in un‐served & underserved areas.
• To improve equity in higher education by providing adequate opportunities of higher education to SC/STs and socially and educationally backward classes; promote inclusion of women, minorities, and differently abled persons.
Funding to RUSA
• The central funding in the ratio of 65:35 for general category States and 90:10 for special category states which would be norm based and outcome dependent.
• The funding would flow from the Union Human Resources Ministry through the state governments/union territories to the State Higher Education Councils before reaching the identified institutions.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 14 March 2016