7 February: Safer Internet Day
The Safer Internet Day was celebrated on 7 February 2017 with the theme - Be the Change: Unite for a Better Internet.
To mark the occasion, various activities were undertaken across the world by the stakeholders of the internet like internet service providers (ISPs), search engine service provider Google and policy makers.
In India, Google distributed awards to the winners of the 2nd edition of the Web Rangers initiative. The initiative was launched by the company to promote digital literacy and spread awareness about internet safety.
About Safer Internet Day
• The day offers the opportunity to highlight positive uses of technology. It also seeks to explore the role we all play in helping to create a better and safer online community.
• The Safer Internet Day calls upon young people, parents, teachers, social workers, law enforcement, companies, policymakers to join together in helping to create a better internet.
• As per an estimate, the Safer Internet Day is celebrated in over a hundred countries spread across the world.
• The day is jointly coordinated by the Insafe/INHOPE network with the support of the European Commission.
• The day was observed for the first time in 2011 with the theme - Virtual Lives.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.