India-born author Salman Rushdie on 10 December 2015 was awarded the prestigious Mailer Prize for lifetime achievement. American experimental performance artist Laurie Anderson presented the award to Rushdie at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, New York City.
The prestigious Mailer Prize honours writers who fully exercise their freedom of creativity and thrive on dialogue and debate.
About Salman Rushdie
• Rushdie is the author of famous books like, Booker Prize winner Midnight’s Children, and controversial The Satanic Verses.
• His most recent novel, Two Years Eight Months and Twenty-Eight Nights, was published in the English language in September 2015.
• He is a Fellow of the British Royal Society of Literature.
• He has received the Whitbread Prize for Best Novel (twice), the Writers’ Guild Award, the European Union’s Aristeion Prize for Literature, the London International Writers’ Award and a US National Arts Award.
• He holds honorary doctorates and fellowships at six European and six American universities. He is also an Honorary Professor in the Humanities at MIT and University Distinguished Professor at Emory University.
About Mailer Prize
• The Mailer Prize is an American literary award established in 2009 by The Norman Mailer Center and The Norman Mailer Writers Colony.
• The prize is named after renowned American writer Norman Mailer, considered among the most influential writers of the second half of the 20th century.
• The prize is given to writers whose work over the years has challenged readers’ perspectives on the world around them.
Previous winners of the Mailer Prize for Lifetime Achievement are:
• Don DeLillo in 2014
• Maya Angelou in 2013
• Joyce Carol Oates in 2012
• Elie Wiesel in 2011
• Orhan Pamuk in 2010
• Toni Morrison in 2009
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Salman Rushdie
Where: New York
When: 10 December 2015
FSSAI constitutes B Sesikeran Committee to review food labelling standards
Health Insurance companies to cover mental illness under medical insurance policies: IRDAI
Asian Games 2018: Wrestler Bajrang Punia wins Gold, shooter Deepak Kumar wins silver
Kofi Annan, former UN Secretary-General, dies at 80