Tesla Motors Inc., an American based company, on 1 May 2015 launched its new solar energy based battery system Powerwall. It is a home battery that charges using electricity generated from solar panels.
The product will be marketed under Tesla Energy, a new business arm of the company. The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Tesla Motors is Elon Musk.
Important features of Powerall
• It is a rechargeable lithium-ion battery designed to store energy at a residential level for load shifting, backup power and self-consumption of solar power generation.
• It is a smart device in the sense that it consists of liquid thermal control system and software that receives dispatch commands from a solar inverter.
• The battery can provide a number of different beneﬁts including:
a) Load shifting – The battery can provide ﬁnancial savings by charging during low rate periods when demand for electricity is lower and discharging during more expensive rate periods when electricity demand is higher.
b) Increasing self-consumption of solar power generation – The battery can store surplus solar energy not used at the time it is generated and use that energy during night.
• The unit mounts seamlessly on a wall and is integrated with the local grid to harness excess power and give customers the flexibility to draw energy from their own reserve.
• It is a 350 – 450 volts battery system with 5.8 amp nominal, 8.6 amp peak output and it is single phase and three phase utility grid compatible.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 1 May 2015