The Maharashtra Cabinet on 1 October 2013 approved a policy for senior citizens. The policy aimed at ensuring access to healthcare, housing, financial security and enabling them to lead a dignified life.
According to the policy, people attaining 65 years will be considered as senior citizens.
Salient features of the senior citizens policy
• A separate commisionerate is created for senior citizens.
• State government will release a report on status of senior citizens contentment index on October 1 every year.
• All public transport buses to have a low step at entrance doors.
• 50 percent concession on state transport tickets.
• Every year June 15 to be observed as elder abuse awareness day.
• Malls, restaurants, offices and movie theatres should provide wheelchairs to senior citizens.
• Government-owned public space, halls and temples to be given free to conduct functions or programmes for senior citizens for specific period of time.
• A separate gerontology department at JJ hospital in Mumbai.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.