The President of Bangladesh, Zillur Rahman passed away on 20 March 2013 at Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore. He was 84 years of age. The Government of Bangladesh announced three-day mourning in the country. Zillur Rahman was undergoing treatment for kidney as well as respiratory complications.
Article 54 of the Constitution of Bangladesh: Speaker to act as President during absence
Speaker Abdul Hamid became acting President of Bangladesh now. According to the Article 54 of the Constitution of Bangladesh, if a vacancy occurs in the office of President or if the President is unable to discharge the functions of his office on account of absence, illness or any other cause the Speaker shall discharge those functions until a President is elected or until the President resumes the functions of his office, as the case may be.
Executive powers vest in the Prime Minister of Bangladesh
President’s death does not affect the Government of Bangladesh because ever since the parliamentary democracy in Bangladesh was restored in 1991, the President has remained just a ceremonial post. The executive powers vest in the Prime Minister of Bangladesh.
About Zillur Rahman
• Zillur Rahman became the President of Bangladesh on 11 February 2009. He served as the 19th Bangladeshi President.
• He belonged to the Bangladesh Awami League (AL) party.
• He is one of the veteran politicians of Bangladesh. He was elected as the Member of Parliament in 1970 when Bangladesh was a part of Pakistan.
• Zillur Rahman was chosen as the general secretary of Bangladesh Awami League (AL) party in 1972 after the Bangladesh Liberation War.
• In the general elections held in 1973, he was elected as the member of the parliament.
What: passed away
When: 20 March 2013