Cabinet approves increasing of government ownership in GSTN
• The Union Cabinet has approved increasing of Government ownership in Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN) and change in the existing structure with a transitional plan.
• The plan includes the acquisition of entire 51 per cent equity held by the non-government Institutions in GSTN equally by the centre and the state governments and to allow GSTN Board to initiate the process for acquisition of equity held by the private companies.
• It will also allow change in the existing composition of the Board of GSTN inducting three directors from the centre and the states and three other independent directors to be nominated by the Board of Directors and one Chairman and the CEO. Thus the total number of Directors will be 11.
Cabinet approves financial assistance worth Rs 825 Crore for twin projects to curb water logging in Punjab
• The Union Cabinet has approved providing central assistance worth Rs 620.42 crore and Rs 205.758 crore for implementation of relining of Rajasthan Feeder Canal and Sirhind Feeder Canal respectively over five years from 2018-19 to 2022-23.
• The implementation of these twin projects would help in addressing the problem of water-logging in 84800 Ha of land in Muktsar, Faridkot and Ferozpur districts in South-West Punjab and enhance the water availability in the two canals. The move would benefit the farmers in the area
• The funding for relining of the Rajasthan Feeder canal and Sirhind feeder canal shall be made through NABARD under existing system for funding of PMKSY-AIBP projects under LTIF.
Cabinet approves MoUs between India, Uzbekistan on cooperation in combating illicit trafficking in narcotics, drugs and psychotropic substances
• The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on September 26, 2018 approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between India and Uzbekistan on mutual cooperation in combating illicit trafficking in narcotics, drugs, psychotropic substances and precursors.
• The agreement will help in mutual cooperation in regulation of narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances and in combating drug trafficking.
• It is an effective framework to deal with all the issues requiring mutual assistance and cooperation in the areas identified.
• The MoU will also facilitate effective institutional interaction between both the governments and once in force, it would help in curbing transnational narcotics trafficking.
Cabinet approves MoU between India, Uzbekistan on cooperation in law and justice
• The Union Cabinet has approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between India and Uzbekistan on cooperation in the sphere of law and justice.
• The agreement addresses the concerns and requirements in the field of exchange of experience by legal professionals, government functionaries and their training and effective legal aid mechanism for resolution.
• It will facilitate greater cooperation between India and Uzbekistan in providing legal services in both countries in the field of exchange of experience through information sharing visits and training between both countries on enhancing legal capacities of government functionaries.
Cabinet approves MoU between India, Uzbekistan on cooperation in tourism
• The Union Cabinet has approved the MoU between India and Uzbekistan for strengthening cooperation in the field of tourism. The MoU will be signed during the high-level delegation visit from Uzbekistan to India on October 1, 2018.
• The MoU will help the two countries in creating an institutional mechanism for enhancing cooperation in the tourism sector.
• It will also help in increasing foreign tourist arrivals from Uzbekistan to the country. This in turn will result in economic development and employment generation.
• The agreement will also create favourable conditions for long-term tourism cooperation for the mutual benefits of all stakeholders within the broader framework and areas of cooperation.
Cabinet approves MoU between India, Uzbekistan on cooperation for establishment of Uzbek-Indian Free Pharmaceutical Zone
• The Union Cabinet has approved the MoU between India and Uzbekistan for establishment of the Uzbek-Indian Free Pharmaceutical Zone in the Andijan Region of Uzbekistan. The MoU will be signed during the visit of President of Uzbekistan to India on October 1, 2018.
• The agreement will create an enabling framework of cooperation for setting up an Uzbek-Indian Free Pharmaceuticals Zone in Andijan region of Uzbekistan.
• It will also facilitate Indian pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical companies to invest in and establish production facilities in the Uzbek-Indian Free Pharma Zone of Andijan for manufacture of pharmaceutical products.
Cabinet approves agreement between India, Uzbekistan on cooperation in agriculture and allied sectors
• The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the signing of an agreement between India and Uzbekistan for cooperation in the field of agriculture and allied sectors.
• The agreement between India and Uzbekistan provides for cooperation in exchange of information regarding laws, standards and product samples of mutual interest, establishment of joint agriculture clusters in Uzbekistan and exchange of experience in the field of crop production and their diversification.
• The agreement also provides for the exchange of experience in the field of seed production based on modern technology, exchange of information concerning certification of seed in accordance with the legislation of the states of the parties and exchange of samples of seeds on beneficial terms.
• This agreement shall enter into force on the date of its signing and shall remain in force for a period of five years, being automatically extended for a subsequent periods of five years.
Cabinet approves agreement between India, Uzbekistan on cooperation in health and medical science
• The Union Cabinet has approved the signing of an agreement between India and Uzbekistan on cooperation in health and medical science.
• The agreement covers expanding opportunities for the development of business cooperation in the field of medical equipment, including equipment for teaching and research laboratories of institutions of medical education and pharmaceutical products.
• It also includes strengthening of primary health care and setting up of health care facilities, medical and health research development, as well as exchange of experience and technologies in the field of telemedicine and electronic-health information systems and maternal and child health protection.
• A working group will be set up to further elaborate the details of cooperation and to oversee the implementation of this agreement.
• Besides, the cabinet has also approved the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Uzbekistan for increased cooperation in the areas of trade, industry, and research and development of pharmaceutical products.
Cabinet approves MoU between NITI Aayog, Russia’s Economic Development Ministry in the field of social, economic, industrial development programs
• The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given its approval for signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between National Institute for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog, and Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation (MEDRF) in the field of social, economic, industrial and regional development programs.
• The objective of the agreement is to explore the potential of cooperation in the framework of preparation and implementation of strategies and programs of social, economic, industrial and regional development.
• It provides a framework and enabling environment to understand each other's strengths, market, technologies and policies.
• The agreement involves cooperation in conducting and execution of joint research projects related to issues of mutual interest, exchange of information and research works related to issues of mutual interest between the two sides and visits of relevant specialists of both sides for participation in joint events.
Cabinet approves MoU between ICAI and ICPAK
• The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given its approval for signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) and the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK).
• The agreement will help establish mutual co-operation and collaboration in the areas of knowledge sharing through joint research, quality support, capability and capacity building, trainee accountant exchange programmes and conducting Continuous Professional Development (CPD) courses, workshops and conferences.
• The ICAI and ICPAK will collaborate on benchmarking initiatives and trainee accountant exchange programmes.
• India is Kenya's sixth largest trading partner and the largest exporter to Kenya. Considering Kenya's economy is one of the top amongst the African countries and the kind of investments and trusts entrusted by the two counties in the recent past, India's Chartered Accountants have already been playing a significant role in the economic growth of the country.
Cabinet apprised of the MoU between India, South Korea for enhancing cooperation in applied science and industrial technology
• The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been apprised of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and South Korea on cooperation in Applied Science and Industrial Technology.
• The MoU was signed in New Delhi on July 9, 2018 during the visit of the President of South Korea to India.
• The aim and objective of this MOU is to promote bilateral cooperation in the fields of applied science and industrial technologies for the purposes of promoting sustainable development and enhanced quality of life.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week