30 January 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics like Mahatma Gandhi Sarbat Vikas Yojana, World Leprosy Day and ‘VINBAX’ joint military exercise among others.
1. Which nation has lifted its ban on refugees from 11 nations, which it had termed as high-risk countries earlier?
2. India signed an agreement for cooperation in civil aviation with which nation?
b) The Philippines
c) Lao PDR
3. Which state government has launched Mahatma Gandhi Sarbat Vikas Yojana?
4. The World Leprosy Day was observed on which day this year?
a) January 28
b) January 27
c) January 29
d) January 25
5. Which Bollywood artist has been selected for the fifth Yash Chopra Memorial Award?
a) A R Rahman
b) Priyanka Chopra
c) Asha Bhosle
d) Ranveer Singh
6. Former agricultural commissioner of India, Dr Gurcharan Singh Kalkat passed away recently after suffering from a brief illness. He was known to be a pioneer of which revolution?
a) Green Revolution
b) White Revolution
c) Industrial Revolution
d) Digital Revolution
7. Which state government has launched zero budget natural farming project to promote organic farming?
c) Uttar Pradesh
d) Himachal Pradesh
8. The Indian army has begun its first military exercise called ‘VINBAX’ with which nation?
b) Lao PDR
d) The Philippines
9. Which state’s Municipal Corporation has launched the Mobile App 311 to enhance civic services?
b) Himachal Pradesh
10. The National Human Rights Commission has issued notices to the Union Home Secretary and Chief Secretaries of all states and UTs over health hazard faced by which personnel?
a) Construction Workers
b) Roadside Cleaners
c) On-Field Personnel
d) Traffic Police
11. Which country is planning to establish a specialised lab for treating oil spills at sea?
12. Which among the following statements is not true as per Economic Survey 2017-18?
a) There has been a large decrease in registered indirect and direct taxpayers
b) State’s prosperity is correlated with their international and inter-state trade.
c) Indian society exhibits strong son ‘Meta’ Preference
d) To re-ignite growth, raising investment is more important than raising saving
Answers with Explanation
1. (b) US
The United States has announced that it is lifting its ban on refugees from 11, which it had earlier termed high-risk countries. Though the 11 countries have not been identified officially, reports state that they include North Korea and Muslim-majority nations such as Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Mali, North Korea, Syria and Yemen.
2. (c) Lao PDR
India and Lao PDR have signed civil aviation cooperation agreement for providing SkyRev360, a comprehensive e-data gathering, invoicing and collection system. SkyRev360 is fully automated and comprehensive data gathering invoicing and collection service system, which has been developed in collaboration with the International Air Transport Association (IATA) under Indian government’s Make in India initiative.
3. (d) Punjab
The state government of Punjab has launched Mahatma Gandhi Sarbat Vikas Yojna (MGSVY) for the welfare of the downtrodden citizens across the state. This scheme’s main objective is to identify poor and distressed households that have been deprived of the benefits of the various welfare schemes launched by state government.
4. (a) January 28
The World Leprosy Day was observed across the globe on January 28, 2018. The day is observed internationally every year on the last Sunday of January month to raise global awareness of Leprosy. The observance aims to achieve the target of zero cases of leprosy-related disabilities in children.
5. (c) Asha Bhosle
Legendary playback singer Asha Bhosle has been chosen for fifth edition of Yash Chopra Memorial Award for her outstanding contribution to the Hindi film industry. She will be presented with award in February 2018 by Maharashtra Governor C Vidyasagar Rao. Asha Bhosle boasts of an illustrious music career, spanning nearly seven decades, within which she has recorded over 11,000 songs in 20 different languages.
6. (a) Green Revolution
The former agriculture commissioner of India and noted agricultural scientist Gurcharan Singh Kalkat passed away at the age of 92 in Chandigarh on January 27, 2018, after suffering from a brief illness. The Padma Shri and Padma Bhushan awardee was the founding chairman of Punjab State Farmers Commission and a pioneer of India’s Green Revolution.
7. (d) Himachal Pradesh
Himachal Pradesh Government has launched Zero Budget Natural Farming (ZBNF) project to promote organic farming. ZBNF is a set of natural farming methods where cost of growing and harvesting plants is zero. The project aims to increase agriculture produce and the income of farmers by the year 2022.
8. (a) Vietnam
In a first, the armies of India and Vietnam have begun a six-day long military exercise in Jabalpur in Madhya Pradesh. The exercise follows Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc’s visit to India last week to participate in the India- ASEAN Commemorative summit and attend India’s Republic Day celebrations.
9. (c) Delhi
The three Municipal Corporations of Delhi have jointly brought out a mobile application called Mobile App 311 to enhance engagement of citizens in resolution of grievances and improvement of civic services in the city. The app aims to empower users by giving them locations of nearby police stations, metro stations, petrol pumps, public toilets, parking, hospitals, bus stands, veterinary clinics, libraries, gyms, markets and other places.
10. (d) Traffic Police
The National Human Rights Commission has issued notices to the Union Home Secretary and Chief Secretaries of all states and union territories over the health hazard faced by traffic police personnel due to high air pollution.
11. (b) China
China's Ministry of Transport is planning to establish a laboratory specialising in treating oil spills at sea, the first of its kind in the country. The nation has been spending around 200 million yuan a year on researches for emergency treatment of oil spills but the technological expertise has not been widely applied because of lack of such a lab.
12. (a) There has been a large decrease in registered indirect and direct taxpayers
The new Economic survey of 2017-18 reveals that there has been a 50 per cent increase in unique taxpayers under the GST in comparison with the pre-GST system and also a boost in exports of ready-made garments. It states that there has been a large increase in registered indirect and direct taxpayers.