The Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Nitin Gadkari launched the Bidder Information Management System (BIMS) and Bhoomi Rashi and PFMS linkage portals on August 6, 2018.
The two IT initiatives of the Transport & Highways Ministry are aimed at expediting pre-construction processes relating to bidding and land acquisition respectively.
The Union Minister also announced the institution of Annual Awards for Excellence in National Highways Projects from 2018 onwards.
• The portal is aimed at streamlining the process of pre-qualification of bidders for EPC Mode of contracts for National Highway works with enhanced transparency and objectivity.
• The portal will work as a database of information about bidders, covering basic details, civil works experience, cash accruals and network and annual turnover.
• The pre-qualification of bidders can be assessed from the data already stored in the portal so that technical evaluation can be carried out much faster.
• The bidders would be responsible for ensuring that their latest details are available on the BIMS portal.
• These details will be used by bidders to apply for any RFP for civil works on EPC mode that has been floated by the Ministry and its implementation agencies on the Central Public Procurement Portal (CPPP).
• The BIMS portal will be operated in conjunction with the CPPP portal for the invitation of bids for civil works for EPC mode.
The portal will be used by all the project implementation agencies of the Ministry for maintenance of technical information of civil works of contractors and concessionaires and for online technical evaluation of civil works bids.
SignificanceThe portal is expected to significantly reduce the procurement time for projects through an objective and transparent online evaluation system thereby leading to accelerated project implementation.
• The portal has been developed by Ministry of Road Transport and Highways and the National Informatics Centre.
• It comprises the entire revenue data of the country, right down to 6.4 lakh villages.
• The entire process flow, beginning from the submission of draft notification by the State Government for its approval by the Minister of State for Transport and publication in e-Gazette, will be available online.
• The portal, created for expediting the process of publication of notifications for LA, is now being fully utilised for issuing the notifications and more than 900 notifications have been issued using the portal so far.
• The portal has been instrumental in reducing the time taken for approval and publication of notifications pertaining to land acquisition.
• PFMS is a web-based online software application developed and implemented by the Office of Controller General of Accounts (CGA) to facilitate sound public financial management system for Government of India (GoI).
• It provides various stakeholders with a real-time, reliable and meaningful management information system and an effective decision support system, as part of the Digital India initiative of GoI.
• Integration of PFMS with Bhoomi Rashi is one of the key functionalities to facilitate payment related to compensation for land acquisition to all the beneficiaries directly through the Bhoomi Rashi system.
• With the integration of Bhoomi Rashi with PFMS, payment of Compensation by the Ministry to the beneficiaries will be just-in-time and without any parking of funds.
• The system is being now rolled out to all regional offices of Ministry of Road Transport and Highways and National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation (NHIDCL)
The new initiatives aim to help expedite the work of award and construction of highways projects significantly.
Through the portals, the Ministry aims to reduce construction costs while enhancing quality.
Under Bhumi Rashi portal, 900 notifications for land acquisition have been issued so far in the current year, as against 1000 issued during the whole of 2017.
• The awards have been instituted by the Transport Ministry to recognise concessionaires and contractors who display exceptional performance. They will be presented every year starting from 2018.
• The awards have been designed across five categories, which are as follows:
Excellence in Construction Management: The category acknowledges efficient use of resources along with finest quality standards and smooth execution of all milestones of the project.
Excellence in Operation & Maintenance: It recognises projects with swift and smooth execution of maintenance works, inspections and unparalleled quality in riding experience.
Best Toll Plaza: It focuses on automation and efficient management of traffic and services at the plaza.
Safe Highway: It acknowledges commendable work done to reduce road casualties and establish preventive safety measures and emergency response services.
Innovation in Design or Construction Technology: It focuses on significant achievements in devising or adapting a new construction technology or structural and geometric design.
• The best performers would be selected based on multiple rounds of rigorous assessment.
• Detailed, category-specific and quantifiable evaluation frameworks have been developed for this assessment by Quality Council of India engaged by the Ministry to design the complete process.
• The companies would nominate themselves through an online portal by uploading the project information and documents specific to the award category.
• In the first round, the validity and propriety of the submitted data would be verified and evaluated followed by the second round, which involves an on-site inspection of the shortlisted applicants.
• The finalists would have to face an expert jury panel consisting of industry experts and academicians in the final round.
• The winners would be announced on the occasion of the Good Governance Day on December 25, 2018.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
Who: Transport Ministry
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider