Turkish musician Kudsi Erguner named UNESCO Artist for Peace
UNESCO Artists for Peace are internationally renowned personalities who use their influence, charisma and prestige to promote the message and UNESCO programs.
Turkish musician Kudsi Erguner was on 10 July 2016 appointed as the UNESCO Artist for Peace by the Director-General of UNESCO, Irina Bokova.
Erguner was appointed for the post at a ceremony held at the Congress Center in Istanbul (Turkey) after the opening ceremony of the 40th session of the World Heritage Committee, which ends on 20 July 2016.
Kudsi Ergüner was named in recognition of his efforts
• To promote the universal values of music, an essential instrument of dialogue between cultures
• For his contribution to the protection of musical heritage
• His support for the International Decade of the Rapprochement of Cultures (2013-2022)
• His unwavering commitment to the ideals of the Organization
His responsibility as a UNESCO Artist of Peace includes work for the updating of the forgotten musical heritage.
• Born in Turkey in 1952, Kudsi Ergüner is a musician, one of the best-known players of the Turkish ney (reed flute), composer, musicologist, teacher, author and translator.
• Trained by his father, Ulvi Ergüner, the last great master of the ney flute, he has given concerts all over the worl.
• He is considered a master of traditional Mevlevi Sufi music, built on Persian and Turkish traditions.
• He has helped in reviving the traditional musical trends.
• His collaborations with prestigious artists such as Peter Gabriel, Maurice Béjart, Peter Brook and Didier Lockwood helped to spread this music to Western audiences.
UNESCO Artists for Peace
UNESCO Artists for Peace are internationally renowned personalities who use their influence, charisma and prestige to promote the message and UNESCO programs. UNESCO is working with them to increase public awareness regarding key development issues and the role of the Organization in these areas.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App