The Union Cabinet approved the Nagpur Metro Rail Project on 20 August 2014. It is 8860 crore rupees project. It will be funded on equal sharing basis between the Maharashtra Government and Union Government of India. In this Union Government will contribute 1555 crore rupees as equity and subordinate debt.
About Nagpur Metro Rail Project
• The project is scheduled to be completed by March 2018. With this Nagpur will become the latest city in the country to have the modern transportation service.
• Nagpur Metro will connect 19.658 kilometers of north-south corridor and 18.557 kilometer of east-west corridor, the total accounts to 38.215 kilometers.
• The proposed north-south and east-west alignments are expected to provide much needed connectivity to commuters and would traverse through some of the densest and traffic- congested areas of the Orange city (Nagpur).
• The Metro alignments are expected to bring connectivity to the Special Economic Zone (SEZ), educational institutions and logistic hubs in the Nagpur city.
• Nagpur with a population of 24 lakh people is the third largest city of Maharashtra and 13th largest in the country.
• Metro services are operational in Delhi NCR, Mumbai, Kolkata and Bangalore and in under various stages of construction in cities including Jaipur, Hyderabad and Kochi.
If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.