Union Government appointed three Information Commissioners on 25 February 2016. These are Bimal Julka, Divya Prakash Sinha and Amitava Bhattacharyya.
They were administered the oath of office by the Chief Information Commissioner Radha Krishna Mathur.
Before being appointed ICs, Bimal Julka was holding the post of Secretary of Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting. He is a retired IAS officer and his area of eminence includes Administration and Governance.
Divya Prakash Sinha was holding the charge of Secretary (Security) in Union Government. He is a former IPS officer and had vast experience in security.
Amitava Bhattacharyya was holding the charge of Chairman, Staff Selection Commission. He is a former IAS officer and well known for Administrative and Governance Skills.
The three information commissioners will hold the posts till they turn 65.
With this, for the first time since the inception of Central Information Commission (CIC) in 2005, it will have the full complement of the chief and 10 information commissioners.
This will also be the first time that all the information commissioners except a law professor are from the government or the public sector.
Central Information Commission
• It was constituted by the Union Government which includes 1 Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) and not more than 10 Information Commissioners (IC) who will be appointed by the President of India.
• It has its Headquarters in Delhi. Other offices may be established in other parts of the country with the approval of the Union Government. It is an independent body to exercise its powers.
• Candidates for CIC/IC must be persons of eminence in public life with wide knowledge and experience in law, science and technology, social service, management, journalism, mass media or administration and governance.
• CIC/IC shall not be a Member of Parliament or Member of the Legislature of any State or Union Territory. He shall not hold any other office of profit or connected with any political party or carrying on any business or pursuing any profession.
• Appointment Committee includes Prime Minister (Chair), Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha and one Union Cabinet Minister to be nominated by the Prime Minister.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Union Government
When: 25 February 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.