Union Government launches mobile app for Haj Pilgrimage
The main features of this first-of-its-kind app include applying for Haj, enquiry and information, news and updates and e-payment.
The Union Minister of State for Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi on 2 January 2017 launched a mobile app for Haj Pilgrimage.
With the launch of this app, the government aims to render digital push to the Haj application process. It was launched under the Union Government’s Digital India programme.
Highlights of the mobile app for Haj Pilgrimage
• The app will provide information and facilitate e-payments for the pilgrimage.
• The main features of the app include applying for Haj, enquiry and information, news and updates and e-payment.
• The app can be downloaded easily from the Google Play store.
• The application for five adults and two infants can be applied as a group directly on the app.
• After the registration, a PDF copy of the form will be sent to the applicant’s email.
• Thereafter, applicant needs to affix his or her photo on the form printout and send this form along with documents to the State Haj committees.
• Registration fees can also be paid through the app.
• In December 2016, the Union Government also launched a website of Haj. The website was launched in Hindi, Urdu and English languages to provide all the necessary information regarding Haj.
• The website also lists Do’s and Don’ts for the Haj pilgrimage. It also showcases a film informing about various aspects of the pilgrimage.
• In 2016, around 45843 people applied for Haj online. Altogether, 9257 online applications were received from Kerala; 5407 from Uttar Pradesh; 2983 from Telangana; 2426 from Jammu and Kashmir and 2425 online applications were received from Gujarat.
• Out of the total applications applied by Indians online and offline, about 99903 people went to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia for Haj from 21 embarkation points across India.
• Besides, around 36000 pilgrims proceeded for Haj through private tour operators.