Union Government launches student-scientist connect programme JIGYASA
In this regard, a Memorandum of Understanding was signed by Union Ministry of Science & Technology and Union Ministry of Human Resource Development.
The Union Government on 6 July 2017 launched JIGYASA programme, a student- scientist connect programme. In this regard, a Memorandum of Understanding was signed by Union Ministry of Science & Technology and Union Ministry of Human Resource Development.
For the implementation of the programme, the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) tied-up with Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS).
Highlights of the JIGYASA Programme
• 'JIGYASA' would inculcate the culture of inquisitiveness on one hand and scientific temper on the other, amongst the school students and their teachers.
• The Programme is expected to connect 1151 Kendriya Vidyalayas with 38 National Laboratories of CSIR targeting 100000 students and nearly 1000 teachers annually.
• The focus is on connecting school students and scientists to extend student’s classroom learning with a well planned research laboratory based learning.
• It will also enable the students and teachers to practically live the theoretical concepts taught in science by visiting CSIR laboratories and by participating in mini-science projects.
Model of engagement in the programme
• Student Residential Programmes
• Scientists as Teachers and Teachers as Scientists
• Lab specific activities
• Visits of Scientists to Schools
• Science and Maths Clubs
• Popular Lecture Series
• Student Apprenticeship Programmes
• Science Exhibitions
• Projects of National Children’s Science Congress
• Teacher Workshops
• Tinkering Laboratories
'JIGYASA' is one of the major initiative taken up by CSIR at national level during its Platinum Jubilee Celebration Year. CSIR has been contributing for several decades for socio-economic development in the country.
CSIR has also been playing an important role in human resource development through training of the young researchers through Ph. D. programmes in diverse fields.