Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur is all set to introduce Vastu Shastra classes for its architecture students from August 2017.
The basics of Vastu Shastra will be introduced to the first and second-year undergraduate architecture students. However, detailed grounding on the subject will be imparted to the post graduate and research scholars in infrastructure.
The undergraduate students will be taught graded modules related to basic design and history of architecture will be taught. At the postgraduate level, modules imparting solar principles, sacred diagrams, 9 circuit placements or the nabagraha mandal, sacred altars and design semiotics and semantics will be taught.
About Vastu Shastra
• Vastu Shastra is a traditional Hindu system of architecture.
• These are texts found on the Indian subcontinent that describe principles of design, layout, measurements, ground preparation, space arrangement and spatial geometry.
• The system includes traditional Hindu beliefs.
• The designs are intended to integrate architecture with nature, the relative functions of various parts of the structure, and ancient beliefs utilizing geometric patterns, symmetry and directional alignments.
• Many historians suggested that Vastu Shastra developed between 6000 BCE and 3000 BCE.