82 Years old Veteran Tamil film lyricist Vaali died at a private hospital in Chennai on 18 July 2013.
Vaali was not well and was undergoing treatment at a private hospital for respiratory problems for a month and was on ventilator support.
A brief insight into Vaali’s Career
• Vaali was born as T S Rangarajan in the temple town of Srirangam.
• Vaali penned lyrics for stars across generations, from the veteran M G Ramachandran (MGR), Kamal Haasan to present day heroes like Dhanush.
• He worked with star composers of Tamil cinema like M S Viswanthan and AR Rahman.
• He started his career in the mid-60s and had penned nearly 10000 songs in his 50 years long career.
• He had also acted in a few movies which includes veteran K Balachander-directed Poikal Kuthirai and Kamal Haasan’s Hey Ram
• He has written two songs in Bharat Bala directed film Mariyan, starring Dhanush, which is scheduled for release on 19 July 2013.
• He was honoured with the Padma Shri, India'a fourth highest civilian honour in year 2007.
• He has also written a number of books including Naanum Indha Nootrandum, his autobiography.
• He was also a theatre enthusiast, and had directed many plays in Tiruchi and Srirangam and worked for All India Radio as a part-time employee, before making a foray into the film world.